Problem with ssh (core1) "PRNG not seeded"

Craig Tierney ctierney at HPTI.com
Thu Mar 18 20:05:50 UTC 2004

I have a cluster of nodes running Fedora Core 1.  Occasionally
when I ssh from one node to another, I will get the
error meesage "PRNG not seeded", and the connection will fail.
Actually, it happens when I ssh from one node to several
simultaneously with a script.  Several different scripts can
generate the problem.  The message is coming from the server
and not the client.  It happens whether I do it as root
or as a normal user (home is mounted over nfs).

Sites on the web indicate this problem is caused by a problem
with /dev/urandom or /dev/random, or a misconfigured environment
variable.  However, in all cases it seems that others get
the message every time.  I get it occasionally from different
nodes.

Thanks,
Craig