fc1 i686 smp kernel crashes

Erik LaBianca erik at totalcirculation.com
Thu Mar 18 22:28:32 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I've got a pair of identical production Xeon SMP webservers running FC1,
Apache2, PHP, Postfix and a stack of custom userland software. In the
last 2 months, uptime has steadily been decreasing, until last week I
couldn't get the main machine to stay up for longer than 8 hours at a
time. I moved the system to the twin machine, and it was crashed the
next morning. I've as of yet been unable to get any sort of useful
messages in syslog or out my console port.

So I finally broke down and built up a vanilla 2.4.25 kernel using the
i686-smp config file, installed it, and the machine has been stable for
a week.

What's wrong with the fedora kernel, and how can I track it down?

Thanks

--erik