Samba - XP Home in peer-to-peer mode

Tom Enterline tenter at enterline.us
Fri Mar 19 03:30:36 UTC 2004

Alexander,

Thanks for your help. It now looks like an XP issue (*grumble, grumble
XP Home, grumble, grumble*) rather than a Samba issue, details below.

> Am Do, den 18.03.2004 schrieb Tom Enterline um 22:50:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to get my FC1 system to share files with an XP Home system in
> > peer-to-peer mode - I don't want to set up a domain controller, etc. If
> > I boot my system into W2K, I can share files fine, so basic networking
> > and setup on the XP system seems OK. I want to get to the point of being
> > able to use an smbfs mount.
> > I've been using smbclient to check out the configuration, and I get the
> > infamous NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED when I try to access a share. smbclient
> > -L works fine (results below).
>
> When you want to mount a share on the XP machine you get the access
> denied error? If you, please post the exact command you use.

So far I'm using smbclient, rather than mounting a share -

	smbclient -U USER //kehtron24/Tom

followed by "ls"
> > So far I've created a Linux account to match the login (which has a
> > password) on the XP box, and also did a smbpasswd -a USER. I also did a
> > smbpasswd -a root, although I don't know if it was needed. I enabled
> > encrypted passwords in smb.conf.
>
> Did you run "smbpasswd -e USER" too to enable the Samba user?

I didn't before, have now.

> > Since I'm using peer-to-peer, I think I don't need the XP signorseal
> > patch for domain logins. Correct?
>
> Correct, only for domain features needed.
>
> > Below is the smbclient -L output and smb.conf. Thanks for any help.
> >
> > [tenter at localhost samba-3.0.2]$ smbclient -L //kehtron24
>
> What is the result of "smbclient -L KEHTRON24 -U USER"?

Same as from smbclient -L //kehtron24 (below)

> > Password:
> > Domain=[KEHTRON24] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
> >
> >         Sharename      Type      Comment
> >         ---------      ----      -------
> >         IPC$           IPC       Remote IPC
> >         SharedDocs     Disk
> >         print$         Disk      Printer Drivers
> >         Laserjet       Printer   HP LaserJet 4L
> >         XP             Disk
> >         Tom            Disk
> > Domain=[KEHTRON24] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
> >
> >         Server               Comment
> >         ---------            -------
> >
> >         Workgroup            Master
> >         ---------            -------
>
> [ snip ]
>
> > # You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
> > # ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
> > # Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
> >    encrypt passwords = yes
> > ;  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>
> Uncomment the "smb passwd file" line.

OK, done.

> [ snip ]
>
> > # Browser Control Options:
> > # set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
> > # browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
> > ;   local master = no
>
> If you want your XP machine be local master uncomment the line above. If
> Samba should play that role then uncomment the line and switch it to
> yes.

The network consist of two machines (plus the router). Should I care
which is the master browser?

> > # OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
> > # elections. The default value should be reasonable
> > ;   os level = 33
>
> If "local master = no" let it be 2, if yes then level 99.
>
> > # Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
> > # allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
> > # if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
> > ;   domain master = yes
> >
> > # Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on
> > startup
> > # and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
> > ;   preferred master = yes
>
> If Samba shall be master browser uncomment it.
>
> Does "smbclient -L localhost" on the Fedora machine work well after the
> changes?

[tenter at localhost tenter]$ smbclient -L localhost
Error connecting to 127.0.0.1 (Connection refused)
Connection to localhost failed

Connecting to the XP machine still works as before.

> Alexander

So, after making those two changes (smbpasswd -e, and uncommenting the
smb passwd file, things worked as before.

I then tried a different service

	smbclient -U USER //kehtron24/XP

and everything worked fine! Then I remembered I couldn't access Tom from
W2K either - I had just forgotten. Sorry for perhaps wasting your time.

Now I have to figure out how to fix the XP side. It looks like a
permissions problem, but XP Home doesn't seem to have permission
settings. So I guess it's an ownership problem - I'll try recreating the
folder under the same user I'm using from Samba.

In any case, thanks for all your help!

Tom