'Respawning too fast'

Barry Skidmore skidmore at worldvenue.org
Fri Mar 19 15:01:40 UTC 2004

Mike,

> It sounds like you have runlevel 5 as your default; this problem has
> been known to happen if xfs (the font server, not the filesystem) isn't
> running at runlevel 5 -
I looked at /etc/inittab, and runlevel 5 is the default.  I thought that
was the correct option if you want X to start automatically?  Do I need
to change it to 3, and then start X manually at login?

id:5:initdefault

>  or if your /tmp or /home directory partitions
> are full.
There's lots of space left in those partitions.

> (I'm assuming that you're able to login ok at runlevel 3)
Yes, no problem logging into runlevel 3.