Minimum requirements for install? (Sorry if this is a dup)

Aaron Konstam akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Mar 19 16:25:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:03:19PM -0600, Steve Bergman wrote:
> I am trying to install FC1 on an HP pavillion 6330.  The label on the
> machine says it has 64MB ram with 11MB shared with the video.
>
> Anaconda detects an intel i810 chipset and successfully brings up X.
> Unfortunately, I then get a pop up window that says that I am trying to
> install on a machine that is not supported by this version of Fedora.
>
> There is nothing on any of the other VC's that gives me a clue as to the
> problem.  I'm thinking that it could be a memory issue, as 64MB is
> mentioned in the release notes as the minimum for a text install, so I'm
> borderline anyway, and then there is the matter of some of it being used
> for video.  But I would have expected a more specific error message in
> that case.  Any insights appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Bergman
I was feeling masochistic last night so I tried an install on a
machine with 32MB of ram. What a disaster. It depends on the speed of
the processor but I would not install FC1 on a machine with less than
256MB of ram, and I don't care what the requirements say. With a
processor slower that 2GHZ I would forget it with a smaller ram. It
may install but running this version will be a dog.
Ok you can run it with a slower processor and I am sure some one will
write in that they are doing it but if you use Mozilla or the open
office applications heavily you will get frustrated.

Now ther is one proviso. I am assuming you are running with everything
installed. I have a 450MHZ processor and 128 MB ram running with a
system with just what I need  and it runs slow but tolerable.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.