Question About FTP & AntiVirus

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Mar 19 17:38:16 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 19.03.2004 schrieb Chalonec Roger um 12:57:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Fedora and want to use it as an FTP server.  The server has
> vsftp installed and I have done successful file transfers on my LAN.  I
> would like to know if vsftp supports encrypted file transfer using
> WS-FTP Pro as a client.  Also, is there an free FTP client that works
> with Fedora that encrypts during file transfer?

I never use vsftpd but from what I know (by reading) vsftpd can not
handle TLS/SSL connections. This is a serious limitation for me. So I am
a proftpd and pure-ftpd user. If addicted to vsftpd you could stunnel
the connections.

Fedora ships with the wonder c-kermit with which I do many of my TLS
encrypted FTP transfers to and from my FTP servers.

> One more questions please.  Is there any anti virus support for Fedora?
> The files will generally originate from windows systems, get stored on
> the Fedora ftp server, and be downloaded to another windows system.

Fedora does not ship any anti-virus tool. But you can get clamav (even
as RPM) for free. For personal use free too are F-Prot and AntiVir.

> Thanks al lot,
>
> Roger

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 18:32:15 up 3:14, 7 users, 0.39, 0.24, 0.14
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]