32bit or 64bit prosessor?

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 19 22:28:18 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 02:50:48PM +0200, Jose Kilpua wrote:
> Hi everybody !
>
> I need Your help. I am going to buy new PC using AMD-processor.
> Should I buy AMD Athlon 64 (3.0-3.4Ghz) or AMD Athlon XP 3200+ ?
> I need powerfull machine, though no server usage just powerfull worstation.
> Are ASUS motherboards ok? Asus K8V Deluxe (64) or Asus A7N8X Deluxe (32)
> are these ok?
> Which graphiphicscontroller I should buy (no games, just Xwindows+software)?

At first glance it depends on how much tinkering you can tolerate.

The 64 bit processors and Linux are a bit more adventuresome than the
32 bit engines.  If it was me I would go for the Athlon 64 knowing
that my trusty Athlon 2000+ box is there to collect mail and act as a
backup etc.

For goodness sakes get a chunk of fast memory.  +Half a Gig is fun.
There are good memory benchmark results out on the net.  Memory makes
the machine.

For the graphics get a motherboard with a good AGP slot.  If you are
concerned only about Xwindows software... compare fill rate.  The
expensive cards have 3D and large texture map memory that you tell us
you do not need. So, for X-windows get the smaller memory model of a
decent 3D card.  You do want enough memory for 24bit color depth and
more resolution than your present monitor can do.  If you are
concerned only about X then the open source driver for nVidia will be
fine.  For GLX you can install their driver to go faster.

Do not forget the hardware compat documents on Redhat.com.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l