Compiling my own kernel that is exactly like the one fedora distributed...

Samuel Flory sflory at rackable.com
Sat Mar 20 00:01:14 UTC 2004

Brian Anderson wrote:
> I am running FC2, but I have been confused by this since FC1.  I
> successfully built and run my own kernels before, but I have never
> understood the steps to build a kernel just like the one distributed.
>
> For example,  take the latest FC2 kernel.
> 1) I've previously  installed the latest kernel and kernel source
> 2.6.2-2.1.253.2.1
> 2) droping into /usr/src/linux-2.6.2-2.1.253.2.1
> 3) I do make mrproper
> 3) I copy /boot/config-2.6.2-2.1.253.2.1 to .config
> 4) I do make oldconfig
> 5) I do make install
>
> I now have a 2.6.2-2.1.253.2.1custom kernel and initrd and and entry in
> grup.  Cool I think.
> However, when I go to boot it it panics because there is no ext3.

   You need to be sure you are including ext3 in your initrd.  Redhat
doesn't compile ext3 into their kernel.  In addition are you actually
installing your modules?  Try a make modules_install before the make
install.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.