Fedora Linux Starband??

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Mar 20 22:34:35 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 20.03.2004 schrieb Björn Persson um 23:24:
> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Sa, den 20.03.2004 schrieb M. Calvin Kashevarof um 22:38:
> >
> >>Does fedora work on WinXP Internet Connect Sharing (ics)??
> >>I plan on getting starband sattleite internetr service for a very rural
> >>area and have used starband with ics for all my windows machines
> >>but have never tried to work linux on ics? is it possible? My windows
> >>xp will be hooked up directly to starband and it will feed internet to
> >>all my other machines including fedora if possible.
> >

> > Sure, why should it not?
>
> Well, it's not hard to imagine Windows using some special
> Windows-specific protocol to set up the routing or something. (Not
> saying that it actually does.)
>
> Björn Persson

Ok, it might be the case ICS would be Windows[tm] proprietary but it is
not. Non-Windows machines behind the ICS gateway do work. ICS is just
the Windows[tm] name for NAT router.

But the original poster might better check Microsoft support lines if he
assumes ICS would not work for non-Windows OS.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 23:30:54 up 1 day, 8:13, load average: 0.28, 0.28, 0.23
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]