synaptic broke my box; I think! :-}

John Thompson JohnThompson at new.rr.com
Sun Mar 21 00:07:03 UTC 2004

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:47:39 +0200
Chadley Wilson <chadley at pinteq.co.za> wrote:

> I really dont understand this one,
> I did a distrobution upgrade mmmm!
>
> I rebooted and gnome and kde have been uninstalled.
> I don't know what else, So I have reloaded from the cds.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?

My experience with synaptic (not extensive, admittedly) is that it resolves rpm dependency problems by removing the packages it doesn't like.  If you have custom built packages that don't exactly match what is in the distribution database, then bye-bye custom packages.  I never found any way to configure this behavior, like the rpm "--nodeps" switch.

> Is there a way to prevent it happening again?

Other than "don't use synaptic?" I never found one.  IMHO, Red Carpet is much nicer in this way.

--

-John (JohnThompson at new.rr.com)