Sound card configuration: IRQ request

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun Mar 21 17:14:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 08:32:03PM -0500, jludwig wrote:
> I'm running the  same basic setup and here are my interrupts.
> Have you reset your plug and pray system BIOS,

What do you mean, that P&P should be on in the BIOS or off? It seems
to make no difference.

> and set your BIOS to a PnP operating system?

Also makes no difference whether I set it to a PnP OS or non-PnP.

>            CPU0
>   0:     134303          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:       2173          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   5:        890          XT-PIC  eth0
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>   9:          0          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci
>  10:      53403          XT-PIC  eth1, via82cxxx
>  11:         14          XT-PIC  aic7xxx
>  12:      19489          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>  14:      22812          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:       3926          XT-PIC  ide1

When are you inserting the via82cxxx module? I insert on demand, which
is well after boot. Do you insert at boot, and if so when?

I don't see anything suspicious in grub.conf, but here are the
relevant portions:

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
password --md5 $1$zXfBkddF$mYSWd3xG7MN4UCjmgz7Jb0
title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2174.nptl)
	root (hd0,1)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
	initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.img

More generally, I am not happy with Fedora in the sound
department. Sound used to work on this machine with FC1; it is now
broken. Sound worked on my laptop (Tecra 8000) under RH 8; I have not
gotten it to work under a fresh installation of FC1.