Update applet malfunction after sources file modified

Barry Yu barryyupuilee at netscape.net
Sun Mar 21 15:45:37 UTC 2004

1. Before modified (default) - Update applet round red button with white
exclamation mark, clicked on it I can see there are 13  updates
available (This number differs from the new ftp source that I use
later).  I didn't do the update and proceed to modify the
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.
2. Per Alexander's "The up2date way" in his article "update problem",  I
modified the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and then log out x window, and
log in again, here are what happen;

2.1- The blue applet button with white check mark final tells me that
there are no update available ( In fact there were 13 reported before I
modified the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources).
2.2 - I clicked on the applet to bring up the " Red Hat Network Alert
Notification Tool" window,  there is a tab "Critical information" and
the message is " The applet has been unable to access the information
sources in its last attempts", but I ignored this warning and continued
to try the rest of the update process by clicking on the "Launch
up2date" "Forward" "Forward", there were  12 updates listed ( Not 13 as
before sources file modification ), I checked to select them all and the
update download speed more than 150k/s - excellent, installation  went
well and finally completed without error ( at least not that I have seen ).

2.3  The modified /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources;
#yum fedora-core-1
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/$ARCH/os/
#yum updates-released
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/$ARCH/
#yum updates-testing http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-1
( Above are original line that I put "#" in front of each lines, below
are the lines of new update source)
yum limestone-fedora-core-1 ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/1/i386/os/
yum limestone-updates-released
ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/updates/1/i386/
#yum limestone-updates-testing
ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/updates/testing/1/i386/
Conclusion:
After I have selected a new update source and put it into the
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file by modification, the  update applet
can't reflect existing available updates but indicating no updates are
available,  and seems having connection problem with this new update
source at beginning, however it will complete all the available download
nicely later - although the number of updates are not the same as
original reported before the modification.
What have I missed out or done wrong during the modification?