yum or up2date

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Sun Mar 21 23:09:11 UTC 2004

apt-get with synaptic front-end
or redcarpet by Ximian
I prefer red-carpet

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 01:07, Greg Ennis wrote:
> Am So, den 21.03.2004 schrieb Greg Ennis um 22:16:
> > Anyone,
> >
> > Would you please point me in the right direction as to whether yum or up2date should
> > be used for FC1.  I have looked in the archives and have not been able to figure out
> > the pros and cons of each.  I presume that up2date downloads from RedHat and yum from
> > one of the FC1 mirror sites.   I never had any difficulty using up2date on RH 7.1 and
> > 8.0 systems, but using it on FC1 is difficult because it stops about every third file
> > that is downloaded.
> >
> > Sure would appreciate some information about the differences between these.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Greg Ennis
>
> That has been discussed here before, also on
> fedora-devel-list at redhat.com.
>
> You can use both. See
>
> http://fedoranews.org/contributors/alexander_dalloz/mirror/
>
> for setup instructions. It shows you that both tools can use the same
> repositories.
>
> Alexander
>
> P.S. Please do not hijack foreign threads. Start new topic with an empty
> mail editor window.
>
> Alexander,
>
> Thanks for the link (a great article and web site) as well as the advice about foreign threads!  Guess there is not a significant difference between yum or up2date?
>
> Greg

Chadley Wilson

Production PLanner / Analyst and Supervisor

A division of Technobyte (Pty) Ltd.    Registration No. 1993/00917/07
Email: chadley at pinteq.co.za

Tel: +27 11 265 3000 (Switchboard) or 265 3195 (Direct) 083 342 3730
(Cell)
Fax: + 27 11 265 3073
Web site: www.pinnacle.co.za

WARNING: The information transmitted herewith is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or
other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete all
copies of the material.