Slammer

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Mon Mar 22 13:00:21 UTC 2004

I shan't post much to this thread, to try and avoid increasing to the
amount of emails that we are currently getting...
On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 12:26, Peter Cannon wrote:
> Hi All
> Just lately some of the postings on certain lists have been getting
> quite strong one guy said that he saw no reason to help anyone as he had
> invested a lot of time and money teaching himself and why should he make
> life easy for someone else! (I'm still confused as to why he joined a
> mailing list?)

Yes, it is irritating, one of my possible pet peeves is the "don't
hijack threads" and then no more, it's a completely pointless post, as
it usually just alienates some one which is never helpful, and doesn't
actually educate them either.

Till I started using evolution I didn't even know threading existed for
email lists, and I consider my self a reasonably capable/experiences
computer user. If some one just bellowed at me to not hijack a thread,
it wouldn't help too much.

I know, flame away. I'm just saying that it may be some thing that just
needs to be lived with for a while.

> So I would like to create a new catch phrase for this type of person,
> you know like, Spam, Hacker, Cracker, Newbie and so on.
>
> I propose "SLAMMER" the idea being that they slam the door in your face.
>
> If it takes off, in a couple of months time I can look back and say "I
> started that".
I like it, don't think i would ever use it, but I do like it.

Doug