Wireless problem

David Hunt (Linux) david.hunt.linux at comcast.net
Tue Mar 23 00:34:15 UTC 2004

Pablo Rodríguez González wrote:

>Again:
>
>"Hi guys,
>
>I'm trying to use WEP protocol with my Conceptronic PCMCIA and my
>USRobotics Sureconnect ADSL Wireless Gateway.
>
>The ethernet script is here (ifcfg-eth1):
>
>ONBOOT=no
>USERCTL=no
>PEERDNS=yes
>GATEWAY=172.16.9.2
>TYPE=Wireless
>DHCP_HOSTNAME=
>IPADDR=172.16.9.9
>DEVICE=eth1
>HWADDR=00:50:c2:01:99:9d
>KEY=s:0123456789101
>BOOTPROTO=none
>DOMAIN=
>NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>ESSID=casita
>CHANNEL=9
>MODE=Auto
>RATE=11M
>
>and in keys-eth1:
>
>KEY=s:0123456789101
>
>but I active WEP in router and the wireless conection goes down. If I
>work without WEP the link is up.
>
>In the router I've got the same key, and same ESSID of course.
>
>What could be the solution?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Here is the output from my ifcfg-wlan0 file. Interesting that I appear
to have two ONBOOT commands. Hmm... I never noticed it before, but oh
well, it works.

# Broadcom Corporation|BCM94306 802.11g
DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
onBOOT=yes
TYPE=Wireless
ESSID=Disney
CHANNEL=6
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
DOMAIN=
NETMASK=
HWADDR=
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
RATE=
MODE=

And the output from the keys-wlan0 file. Modifed of course. The format
is still the same however, and obviously not the same as yours, as I am
missing the"s:".

KEY=7CAB28C8DD

I hope this helps.