yum question: downloaded headers but no updates

Dean Mumby dean at mumby.co.za
Tue Mar 23 06:36:39 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Dean Mumby wrote:
>
>> yes
>

> WTF?  That is singly useless, Dean.  If you're going to comment on
> something, a) stop top posting, and b) post something useful.  A single
> word answer that doesn't even address the question is spectacularly
> stupid.

"Is all of this completely normal operating procedure for yum? "
once again YES

When I started using Linux 5 years ago , I was told that first google ,
second google, third  read the man , that being said , I felt lets
answer the question , if he wants to know more , he will hopefully go
and have a look , it took me all of one search to find this link

http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/howitworks.ptml

I have over 22000 messages in my FC1 folder and it is mostly because
people dont want to bother with doing the research for themselves ,
Linux is a very powerful OS and although I agree with increasing its
adoption rate , I also believe it is the availability of information
that's makes its users more competent.

Spoon feeding is not the best solution.

Regards
Dean

I trust you feel satisfied with your spectacularly intelligent answer.

>> Clint wrote:
>>
>>> Every now and again, I notice that yum will download needed headers,
>>> which makes me think that an update is about to be done, only to
>>> report no updates are needed. My yum.conf is mostly a copy of that
>>> found at artoo, but with an exclude=kernel* line and a seamonkey
>>> repo section.
>>>
>>> My question is, what is yum doing with the headers if there are no
>>> updates to be done? Is all of this completely normal operating
>>> procedure for yum? I'm "curious" about how it's working, rather than
>>> "sleeplessly concerned" something is going wrong! <grin>
>>>
>>> Here is one such example displaying the symptoms that I notice:
>>>
>>> # yum update
>>> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
>>> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
>>> Server: Fedora.us Extras (Stable)
>>> Server: Fedora.us Extras (Testing)
>>> Server: Fedora.us Extras (Unstable)
>>> Server: Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
>>> Server: Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
>>> Server: Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (unstable)
>>> Server: macromedia.mplug.org - Flash Plugin
>>> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
>>> Finding updated packages
>>> Downloading needed headers
>>> perl-Net-SCP-0-0.07-0.fdr 100% |=========================| 1.8 kB
>>> 00:00