Updating with up2date

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 23 12:33:31 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:21:28AM +0100, Krzysztof Osuch wrote:

> How can I update with up2date? I have been using up2date to update with
> red hat. Now I switched over to fedora and tried to do the same, but I
> could not get it working. How should I configure up2date to be able to
> update with fedora?

Check in /etc/sysconfig/rhn
First look to see if you have any *.rpmnew files.
If so check those for hints.
   For example if you have  /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.rpmnew
       mv /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources-save
       cp /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.rpmnew /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
       # test
       up2date
       # if it works clean up the "sources-save" "sources.rpmnew" files.

I suspect that in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources you still have a line:

    up2date default

Comment it out thus:

    #up2date default

You should also have a base and an update source line (one each).
The defaults look like this:

    yum fedora-core-1 http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/$ARCH/os/

    yum updates-released http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/$ARCH/

    #yum updates-testing http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-1

Note that the third default for test is commented out.

Once it works with the two defaults (base and update), you should
switch to mirror sites.  But that is another discussion.

One response was to use yum, which might just work because it is new
to you and the default config file would be untouched and thus do the
right thing.

Both up2date and yum work when configured.

One key point here is that the redhat network (rhn) parts of up2date
do not apply to Fedora.  This is why "up2date default" needs to be
commented out.

BTW: after any  upgrade inspect all your .rpmnew and .rpmsave
files and resolve the differences. Then clean up (remove them).

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l