Please set you time!!

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Mar 23 17:32:48 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-03-23 10:36, Chadley Wilson whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 10:30, WipeOut wrote:
>

>>Hi all..
>>
>>This is a message to all participants on the list...
>>
>>Please make sure the date and time on your PC is correct.. I have over
>>the last week got many messages with totally incorrect dates and it
>>makes sorting by date a useless excersise..
>>
>>For those of you who don't know how to do it..
>>
>>Firstly find the closest open time server to you..
>>http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2a.html
>>
>>Test it by running "rdate -p time.server.name"in a terminal window.. You
>>should get it printing out the current time on the screen, anything else
>>means the server did not respond properly so choose another server..
>>
>>Then..
>>
>>Go to "System Settings" > "Date and Time" and using the NTP server you
>>have chosen you can get the time updated automatically (the
>>clock.redhat.com and clock2.redhat.com don't seem to be working).. You
>>could also set you date manually on this screen..
>>
>>Or you can simply run "rdate -s time.server.name" which will get the
>>system time synced up to the time server..
>>
>>When you shutdown you PC the hardware clock will be synced to the system
>>time, or you can run "hwclock --systohc" to do it manually..
>>
>>Later..
>>

>Just remeber this list is international we are not all in the same time
>zone.
>

>Chadley Wilson
>
>Production PLanner / Analyst and Supervisor

Very true.  However (perhaps I'm just too, too picky) I believe that any
decent MUA should display the date/time that the original message was
sent in my local time.  That allows me to sort by date/time and
understand the true chronology of the messages as sent.  I can always
discover the time zone of the sender by looking at the raw mail headers,
if I should want to.

--
Fritz Whittington
Men are wise in proportion, not to their experience, but to their capacity for experience. (James Boswell, Life of Samuel Johnson, 1791)