CDRW setup

Ron Herring w7hd at comcast.net
Wed Mar 24 01:52:33 UTC 2004

I finally got my CD R/W drive (Samsung SW-224B) working again.  Here is
what I had to do (as root):

mv /dev/pg0 /dev/pg0.old      (save a copy)
ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/pg0         (link the CD writer to pg0)

To use it from the command line to burn an ISO file:
cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc <ISO_FILENAME>

To get Gnome toaster to use it, set the device as /dev/hdc with a SCSI
ID of 0,0 (default).
Preferences,  CDROM and Recorder setup, highlight drive (or select Add
to create it).
Then enter the model and manufacturer, Device File = /dev/hdc (or as
appropriate for your IDE CDRW),
Scsi ID 0,0       Mountpoint = /mnt/cdrom
Check [This Drive is a CD writer]
Check [ Use SCSI Interface for DAE ]
Click OK.
Click Apply, OK.
Happy CD burning....

Then it, too, should work (although only as root).

My current version of Fedora is 2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1

Ron Herring
W7HD
Tucson, AZ