Database Startup

Clint clint at penguinsolutions.org
Wed Mar 24 11:41:30 UTC 2004

>>From your experiences, is there any advantage of one over the other, or one
> being more difficult to configure/maintain than the other?

I can only speak about MySQL, as I haven't had any experience with
PostgreSQL. I learned MySQL first since my host provider supports it,
and doesn't support PostgreSQL. I'm not necessarily a cheerleader for
MySQL -- it's just the first DBMS tool that I learned, and I've decided
to stick with it for the tasks that I have requiring a database. (But
I'm that way about a lot things <grin>: I've stuck with the "first one I
learned" with these as well: Gnome, Emacs!)

I think you'll find strong supporters of both DBMS on this list. It may
simply depend on your needs. If your needs are db-backed websites, then
perhaps MySQL and its speed will suit you just fine. I believe you
originally mentioned needing to develop a phpBB site -- MySQL will be
fine for that job.

--
Clint <clint at penguinsolutions.org>