Core 1 SSHD - cygwin ssh: Connection reset by peer

Nathan Christiansen Nathan_Christiansen at tni.com
Wed Mar 24 16:40:02 UTC 2004

I am having a problem with my Cygwin ssh connection (from a Win XP box)
being disconnected to my Fedora Core 1 box.

Versions:
On my fedora box, yum reports that I have openssh-server version
3.6.1p2-19. The Cygwin setup program reports that I have open-ssh version
3.7.1p2-1.

My Setup:
On the fedora box I edited /etc/ssh/sshd_config and explicitly set
KeepAlive to yes.  On the Cygwin box I have created the /etc/ssh_config
file and put in it KeepAlive yes as well.

Despite the use of the KeepAlive directive if I leave one of my
connections open running a command like  tail -f /path/to/log/file  I get
a "Read from remote host hostname: Connection reset by peer" error after a
couple of hours.

Is there any way to find out why the connection is lost? Is there a way to
generate a log file of errors? Or if such a log file exists where is it?

Thanks.

-- Nathan Christiansen
   Software Engineer
   Tahitian Noni International