What is smartd?

Wolfgang Gill wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Thu Mar 25 03:27:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:49:41 +0530, Kaustubh Ghosh wrote
> I have a peculiar situation:
>
> When my FC1 boots up,it gives a message:
> Starting smartd:                        [FAILED]
>
> When it shuts down ,it gives message:
> Stopping smartd:                 [FAILED]
>
> Everything ,the desktop etc. works fine -there is no problem.But
> what is 'smartd'  and why does it fail? Thanks in advance.

You need to enable S.M.A.R.T in you systems BIOS (It's disabled by default).
Else you will get this error. ALL new drives these days have S.M.A.R.T
technology built-in. The HDD's hardware simply monitors the HDD and when there
are problems, it will inform either the BIOS or OS's S.M.A.R.T monitoring
software of a possible HDD failure.

Wolf