What is smartd?

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Thu Mar 25 15:05:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:53:45 -0500, Matt Morgan
<matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org> wrote:

>This is getting interesting. I wondered, when there's a problem, how
>does smartd let you (user or root) know that there's a problem? It's all
>there in the man page. It checks every 30 minutes (configurable) and
>uses SYSLOG, so the errors probably end up in /var/log/messages on the
>local computer, unless you've set up a syslog server. Apparently at
>startup it can get a lot of "missing block-major-xx" errors, which are
>"mostly harmless," if it's been configured to look for non-existent
>drives especially.
>
>I was pleased to see that even though I've put zero effort into smartd,
>it appears to be working perfectly on my computer (these are the smartd
>startup messages in my /var/log/messages) :

The standard logwatch script

  /etc/log.d/scripts/services/smartd

will pick up the messages and put them in the daily summary mailed to root.  I
have yet to get an "interesting" message, but given that I'm using old disks,
I check every morning.
--
   Steve