No internet connection

Leon Phelps leon at itforesight.net
Thu Mar 25 18:41:05 UTC 2004

Brian,

Alexander has provided a great list of things to check.
When you do "route -n" look for the line that says Destination 0.0.0.0 and
the gateway it lists should be what you'll need. The default Fedora
iptables configuration shouldn't be denying anything out. So if the
iptables command Alexander provided checks out ok, make sure you can ping
your gateway and then attempt to ping/traceroute to hostnames, and then ip
addresses. Perhaps there is a dns problem, which may be covered in
/etc/resolve.conf check.

-Leon

> Am Do, den 25.03.2004 schrieb Brian Tilley um 18:37:
>
>> After upgrading from RH 9.0 to Fedora Core 1 my internet connection is
>> not working. eth0 is working, and I can ping localhost and my static IP
>> address as well as domain name. When I try to fire up Mozilla I can not
>> get a connection. This is what I get when running ifconfig:
>
>> Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Brian
>
> 1) check /etc/resolv.conf for having valid DNS servers in there
> 2) check output of "route -n" to have a default route to the outgoing
> device, eth0 I assume
> 3) check output of "iptables -L -n -v" whether you block something
> accidentally
> 4) check the content of /etc/hosts that there is a line
> "127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   localhost"
>
> Alexander
>

> --
> Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG key 1024D/ED695653 1999-07-13
> Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
> Sirendipity 18:44:02 up 6 days, 3:26, load average: 1.30, 1.22, 1.18
>                    [ Γνωθι σ'αÏ
τον - gnothi seauton ]