new memory = more swap?

John Thompson JohnThompson at new.rr.com
Thu Mar 25 18:50:44 UTC 2004

Craig Thomas wrote:

> I have 256MB ram and a 502MB swap, and want to increase to 384MB
> ram, [i know, i know it's an old machine].  I've read in the RH
> manual and else where that double the amount of ram is "right".  If
> I want more swap but don't have any unpartitioned space left, what
> are my options?  (I do, however, have lots of free space on my
> drive).

The advice that swap=2(RAM) dates from the time when RAM was expensive and few user machines had more than 64MB.

These days most people have plenty of RAM and thus require less swap space.  I have 384MB RAM and a 256MB swap partition that is seldom more than 25% used.

--

-John (JohnThompson at new.rr.com)