Python 2.3.3

Leon Phelps leon at itforesight.net
Thu Mar 25 20:43:49 UTC 2004

The Python FAQ seems to answer your question. Would someone else please
chime in if they do not get the same meaning from this answer.

Q) Is it safe to install these RPMs on a Red Hat system? Will they
over-write the system python and cause problems with other Red Hat
applications that expect a different version of Python?

A) The RPMs that start with "python2.3" are built to not interfere with
the system Python. They install as "/usr/bin/python2.3" and will not
conflict with the system Python unless you are running on a system that
ships the a version of Python which has the same major/minor number.
To invoke the interpreter with these packages, you will explicitly have to
run "python2.3". Note that all Python RPMs provided by Python.org and Red
Hat provide a "/usr/bin/python2.3" (or similar, with major/minor number),
even if they also provide "/usr/bin/python". So, yes, it should be safe.

Note that you may need to build and install a second copy of any packages
which you need access to with the supplemental version of Python. You can
build packages of these files for the Python 2.3 interpreters for packages
which use Distutils, by using the command "python2.3 setup.py bdist_rpm".

-Leon