Call for IT Survey Participants

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Thu Mar 25 21:05:59 UTC 2004

On 03/25/2004 03:51 PM, Don Levey wrote:

>fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote:

>>>Doesn't your OpenOffice open XLS-format spreadsheets?  Mine does.
>>>-Don
>>>

>>Yes Don,
>>
>>The point wasn't that I can't...
>>

>So what you're saying is that it's OK to skew the survey in favour of
>MS products, to stand on principle.  Additionally, phrasing your question
>as you do suggests that only someone who runs MS Office would even try
>to open the file.
>
> -Don

I think really he's just trying to point out two simple facts:

1) There is an inherent bias expressed in the use of a MS format for a
survey about MS vs. Linux. It may be small, but it's there. And it's
kind of funny.
2) Asking people to do it in a spreadsheet is dumb anyway. A web form is
a much smarter way to handle this. You'd get more people to participate,
have an easier way to collect personal info from them, and get responses
with fewer mistakes.

It's not such a big deal.