zip disk format

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Fri Mar 26 00:39:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:12:39 -0800 (PST)
Gerhard Magnus <magnus at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:

> I'd like to be transfer files on a zip disk between work (a mac
> environment running OS X) and home (Linux).  How should I format the
> disk so I can mount it on the Linux system and what parameters should
> I use for the mount command?  It seems the mac OS X system can read
> from and write to any format, but I can't get anything to work on the
> Linux end. Could it be something in my /etc/fstab file that's
> interfering with this?

Most likely, yes. You either have the wrong device configuration
(/dev/sd?) or you're trying to mount the wrong FS type, or your kernel
doesn't support the specific FS needed. Posting the error msgs would be
very helpful...

The first assumption is easy to prove: can you mount _any_ zip disk? If
you can, the device configuration is ok, so we're down to the FS.

If you're sure what FS the disk has been formatted with, you can
override fstab settings. For example, here I have:

/dev/hdd4	/mnt/zip	auto	noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

and I can do

mount -t vfat /mnt/zip

mount can handle all these filesystems _provided your kernel supports
them_:

adfs, affs, autofs, coda, coherent,  cramfs,  devpts,  efs,
ext,  ext2,  ext3, hfs, hpfs, iso9660, jfs, minix, msdos,
ncpfs, nfs, ntfs, proc, qnx4,  ramfs,  reiserfs,  romfs,
smbfs, sysv, tmpfs,  udf,  ufs,  umsdos,  vfat, xenix,
xfs, xiafs

So, if you can format your zip with any of these, you should be able to
mount it on both computers.

HTH

Andre

--