fedora-list Digest, Vol 1, Issue 1394

Parameshwara Bhat pbhat at ongc.net
Fri Mar 26 06:52:17 UTC 2004

Hello Friends,

I recently posted a mail asking if anybody could guide me as to how to
share 'kppp' in fedora core1 with non-root users.It is a home PC shared by
members of the family.I would not share root password for fear of ignorant
actions affecting security/stability of system.Presently any non-root user
has to supply root password to connect(dial up ) to ISP.

I have followed all actions suggested by Scott Burns and Stone Beat but
that has not solved the isuue.Basically what I did was to SUID on
/usr/sbin/kppp and edit /etc/pam.d/kppp to comment out a line.Nothing has
worked.

Are there any more ideas on what could be or what should be done ?

Coming from MSWindows environement,I would think security being so tight
as not allow non-root users of desktop an internet connection very crazy.
I chose Power Desktop Installation and a decent user-oriented installation
should have set this automatically . Is Linux not to be used on desktops
and layman users?

Parameshwara Bhat

On Mon, 26 Mar 2004 22:06:01 -0500 (EST), <fedora-list-request at redhat.com>