XMMS upgraded to 1.2.10

Jonathan Rawle jr36 at leicester.ac.uk
Fri Mar 26 12:04:36 UTC 2004

Chadley Wilson wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 05:01, Chadley Wilson wrote:
>> Well Good Morning,
>> As most are comming to work I am leaving after a long night shift.
>>
>> I upgraded XMMS from 1.2.9 to 1.2.10 and as I mentioned earlier in my
>> mail there is always trouble with upgrades. Why upgrade then? Well I
>> would like to run DJMix on my XMMS but it is prooving to be impossible.
>> Now not only does it take the equalizer 10 secs to respond but also the
>> volume control. Actually as you exit XMMS it carries on playing for 10
>> secs.
>>
>> Any one have just a small clue on how to fix this Please!

Which desktop (Gnome or KDE) are you using, and are you using a sound
server?

I had huge problems with audio latency, which caused a long delay when
adjusting settings or stopping playback in XMMS, when I was using arts, the
KDE sound system. So I abandoned arts completely, and now everything is
instantaneous! (Well, near enough for the casual user - I'm not a DJ!)

I switched over to using ALSA, with the ALSA XMMS plugin. Packages and
instructions are available on freshrpms.net

Gnome has a similar sound server (is that ESD?) I don't know anything about
it as I don't use Gnome.

If you have a half-decent soundcard, you don't need an audio server such as
arts as you can do all the mixing in hardware.

Jonathan

--
http://jonathan.rawle.org/