Best AntiVirus for Fedora Core 1

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Fri Mar 26 14:29:54 UTC 2004

I use ClamAV also, with excellent results.  It actually STOPPED a virus form
one of the many mailing lists I subscribe to.  I was actually surprised when
the mailing list owner (only one that should be able to post to the list)
sent another email apologizing for the VIRUS being sent...  I didn't see the
message with the virus...

Setup of samba-vscan-clamav is not too intuitive; but, it is doable.  I'm
still struggling with configuring it properly to work with ClamAV and the
permissions on the shared files.  I think I may have to give ClamAV root
privileges to get it working fully with samba-vscan.

By default, it will quarantine the file in the /tmp directory.  99.999% of
the time it probably is a virus.  It also renames the file to vir-?????? ;
so you need the logfile to tell what file.  But the logfile is very detailed
about what happened.  Who accessed the file IP, file name, virus found /
reported

Freshclam (the virus definitions updater) checks for updates every hour.
And they do an excellent job of providing real-time updates.  Not like
Norton who does every Wednesday.....  once or twice a month.

There are only a few viruses that can be pruned from the file to retrieve
the original contents.  But, those viruses are usually classified as WORMs
that eat away at CPU time or HD space.  Most viruses today are more
DESTRUCTIVE.

Our office has seen at least 3-4 viruses cause problems this year.  More
than any other year in the past.  Protection is the only option when you
have valuable data for so many users of various operating systems.  We have
users using Win95, Win98, WinNT, Win2000, WinXP, Debian Linux.  One Windows
2000 Server (that has occasional problems) and now the Fedora Server.

James