startx doen't die on logout

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Fri Mar 26 15:03:08 UTC 2004

Keven Ring wrote:

> Jeff Vian wrote:
>

>> Shoshana Rosenthal wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running fedora 2.4.22-1.2174.nptlsmp on my PC. I have dual
>>> monitors.
>>> The video controller is a VGA compatible controller, NVIDIA Corp.
>>> I have installed NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel
>>> Module  1.0-5336
>>> and configured XF86Config. The X session seems to work fine,
>>> with the exception that when I logout of the session, I don't
>>> return to the login window. I have to kill startx from a remote
>>> session.
>>>
>>> Does any one have any clue what the problem might be?
>>>

>> Are you running in runlevel 3 or 5?
>>
>> The only way startx is commonly used is in runlevel 3, to start the
>> graphics interface.
>> To kill it in that setup  use ctl-alt-bksp and it will return you to
>> the command line.
>>
>> If you are in runlevel 5 (graphics) I don't have a clue. :-(
>>
>>> TIA
>>> Shoshana
>>>

> I don't have any significant insight into the problem, but I can add
> to it... ;)
>
> I have a laptop + dock station at work with Fedora Core 1 installed,
> with all of it's packages up to date.  The laptop displays with a
> resolution of 1400x1050, while my external flat panel only can do
> 1280x1024.  If I log out of my laptop, the screen becomes completely
> unusable - that is, a black screen.  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace does *not*
> kill the server.  I can ssh into the box, and manually kill the X
> server process [not startx, as the previous poster mentioned].  This
> brings the gdm window back to it's original glory.  Another person
> that I know at work has a similar configuration, and has the same
> problem.  Yet another laptop [without a docking station] does not
> exhibit this problem.
>
> At home, I have a desktop computer with Fedora Core 1 installed, and
> two 1280x1024 displays.  I have no problem logging out [that is, the X
> server terminates on it's own accord] and getting the gdm login prompt.
>
> All three laptops have ATI graphics cards, while the desktop at home
> has a Matrox MGA card.
>
> If I had to take a stab in the dark, I'd say that there might be
> something wrong when X tries to log out and there are different
> display resolutions, but that's just a wild stab.
>
> I'll set the laptop display to 1280x1024 tomorrow, and report back.
>
> BTW - all systems boot into runlevel 5, and have never been booted
> into level 3.

When I set the laptop to have 2x1280x1024 displays, login/logout works
fine.  When I reset the display to 1x1400x1050, 1x1280x1024, the X
Server fails to terminate.

By the way, there is a bugzilla report, bug #110639.  If anyone has more
information, you might want to add to the list.  The bug is listed as
"CLOSED".