FC2 X issues

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 26 06:08:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 07:58:47PM -0800, Alex wrote:
> From: "Alex" <fedora at aleksoft.net>
> To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:58:47 -0800
> Subject: Re: FC2 X issues
>
> I can boot with original kernel and with  compiled from source 2.6.2 kernel,
> but with newer kernels delivered through up2date my system goes crasy. It
> actually tries to start X session, I can see distorted - out of sync blank
> desktop with an "X" of mouse pointer in the middle for a second then  No
> analog signal message is shown and screen becomes black.
> I tried to play with XF86Config, but it does not do any good.
> Alex.

We are on the wrong list for FC2 test discussions.

FC1.9.1 or where ever stage FC2 is at today is in the process of
switching from XFree86 to XORG's version of the X windowing system.

During the transition it is useful to have init default to level 3 not
5.

So does init 3 let you work from a text port.

You need to be clear which graphics card you have.
And what driver you intend to use.

Have you installed any of the "policy" rpms and inadvertently
turned on SELinux.  ( rpm -qa | grep policy ).

This almost sounds like the nVidia discussions or you have an old
driver for another card.  Older nvidia drivers have trouble on 2.6.3
and 2.6.4 (not in fc2) has a different larger stack size so folks are
recompiling the kernel for that mismatch.

So, Why are you building your own kernel.
What is wrong with stock ...
     i.e. what knobs are you dialing.
Do the stock kernels work for you.

--