need SIMPLE grep piping examples

Shawn Iverson shawn at nccsc.k12.in.us
Fri Mar 26 21:36:03 UTC 2004

On Friday, March 26, 2004 10:14 AM Thiers Botelho wrote:
> I'd never have thought of '-E' by myself, since I thought it was meant
> only for regular expressions (I'm not quite ready for this stuff yet). . .
>
> Thiers

The simplest regular expression is a single character, except where it has a
special meaning.  In those cases, it must either be escaped \ or bracketed
[], depending on the regular expression implementation (there are many, i.e.
grep uses some different conventions than awk).  Regular Expressions are
definitely a book topic, although you can gnaw your brain on the info pages
for "regex" to get detailed information.  I remember back with Mandrake 7.3
there was a good regular expression tutorial in TeX format.