wlan pcmcia probs

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Mar 26 22:00:22 UTC 2004

Stephan Berg wrote:

> Hello Linux-Users,
>
> I have a problem installing my typhoon speednet wlan pcmcia-card on my
> dell inspiron 8200 notebook. I'm using fedora core 1. The card uses an
> atmel chipset. So I tried to install the atmelwlandriver from
> sourceforge.net. I think that the driver is installed and that the
> card is found by my system.
>
> "iwconfig" shows the following:
>
> ---- schnipp ----
> [root at localhost root]# iwconfig
> lo        no wireless extensions.
>
> atml0     ATMEL REVD  ESSID:"WLAN"
>           Mode:Managed  Channel:9  Access Point: 00:30:F1:7E:7D:71
>           Bit Rate:11Mb/s
>           RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr=2346 B
>           Encryption key:off
>           Link Quality:40  Signal level:53  Noise level:0
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
> ---- schnapp ----
>
> I'm not sure, but for a linux-newbie like me this looks brilliant.

You need to finish defining the interface.
Use 'man iwconfig' to learn how to set the ssid, ip address, etc and it
should work.

<--snip-->

> Now I don't know how to get my network started. I tried to use the
> graphical interface "network", but here I couldn't find the driver
> pcmf502rd. All the other drivers didn't work.
> Thanks for every help.
>
> Please notice that I am a linux-newbie. So the more detailled help the
> better. I already tried to read and understand the man pages, but I'm
> not very familiar with linux and these pages didn't help me a lot.

after you get it working manually, you can use the network config gui
(redhat-config-network) to make the changes permanent.  Or just use that
method to try the settings, except, that (AFAIK) will not set the ssid
for the wireless.