CD Writers and Yum Upgrading from FC1 to FC2

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Mar 27 21:41:01 UTC 2004

I used yum's upgrade option to upgrade a box from FC1 to FC2 test
1. It worked quite well except for the CD and CD-RW drives. This app
note describes the problem and how to fix it below. I have not checked
to see if an Anaconda upgrade or fresh installation requires this fix.

The problem is that CD-RWs require the ide-SCSI emulator under kernel
2.4, but that went away in the 2.6 kernel. A Yum upgrade does not make
the necessary changes.

Do the following:

* In your /boot/grub/grub.conf, remove any references to ide-scsi in
  stanzas for 2.6 kernels. My kernel stanza for 2.6.1 went from this
  (beware of line wrap):

  title Fedora Core (2.6.1-1.65)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.1-1.65 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi hdb=ide-scsi
    initrd /initrd-2.6.1-1.65.img

  to this:

  title Fedora Core (2.6.1-1.65)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.1-1.65 ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /initrd-2.6.1-1.65.img

* Fire up your CD-ROM burning software. I use xcdroast-0.98a14-2,
  which comes with FC2, so I'll give instructions for that. In
  "Setup", rescan your hardware. Save the configuration. You may get a
  pop-up window complaining that IDE devices are slow. Oh well.

That should do it. Try burning a CD-RW to verify that everything is
working correctly.

If you run "cdrecord -scanbus", it will fail and complain. It works
anyway when you use xcdroast as a front end.

For more information on how to perform an upgrade using yum, see "Some
Notes on yum Repositories", http://www.charlescurley.com/yum.html