Fedora core 1 sendmail problems

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Mar 29 00:58:05 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 29.03.2004 schrieb Ron Herardian um 02:31:
> Homer,
>
> Double check that "Addr=127.0.0.1" is removed from the sendmail.cf file. The sendmail.cf file is only
> rebuilt on restart (or if you run make in /etc/mail) of sendmail if and only if you have the sendmail-cf
> package installed. This is the most common problem on Red Hat.
>
> FYI, here's one way to do a basic sendmail setup (there are others), assuming that the sendmail-cf
> package is installed:

> 2. Modify the line to read "# DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl"
>    Note: We are deleting "Addr=127.0.0.1"

Why should that change make any sense? It is totally unnecessary.
Setting no DAEMON_OPTIONS for MTA (dnl in front of the default line)
does exactly the same as using the DAEMON_OPTIONS with Addr=0.0.0.0. So
again, this is nothing which brings anyone a step forward.

If you reread the OP first mail you will easily see that the limitation
to localhost has successfully gone. Otherwise he could not connect to
the Sendmail host using telnet from a different host inside his network.

The line above is even wrong. If DAEMON_OPTIONS is used, there has to be
NO # in front of it! "#" is no valid comment letter in .cf files. Only
use "dnl" for this purpose.

> 3. If this is a relay edit /etc/mail/relay-domains and add your domain (unless this is the server where all
> mailboxes reside)
>    Note: /etc/mail/access does not need to contain anything if you're using /etc/mail/relay-domains
> because relay-domains says that no mail is relayed except mail destined for the domains listed
> (regardless of who's sending it), i.e., you accept mail for your domain and not mail to be relayed to other
> domains

This is not needed for basic operation. Do NOT set anything to be
relayed - neiter in access nor in relay-domains - unless your really
need it.

> 4. Restart sendmail.
>
> That's about all you need to do to get sendmail working for your domain and not as an open relay. Of
> course this assumes your IP address, router, netmask, host name, and domain name servers are all
> set up correctly.
>
> Ron

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 02:47:55 up 9 days, 10:29, load average: 0.10, 0.11, 0.09
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]