nvidia and XFree86-Mesa-libGL --- any changes?

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Mon Mar 29 16:47:51 UTC 2004

I searched the archive and the artoo faq regarding the old issue with
nvidia and XFree86-Mesa-libGL, but didn't find a definitive answer to
the following (long-winded) question:

I am using the instructions found at the artoo site to install the
livna.org rpm:

  yum install kernel-module-nvidia-`(rpm -q
--queryformat="%{version}-%{release}\n" kernel | tail -n 1)`

Before doing this installation, I used to use the alternate instructions
found at the artoo site
(http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/custom_nvidia.html). I would also have to
carry out:

rpm -e XFree86-Mesa-libGL

The faq there says that "The need to do this should soon be eliminated
-- watch this FAQ or the fedora-list."

I checked the archive for XFree86-Mesa-libGL but have not found anything
posted relative to this since Nov '03.

Has the need to do "rpm -e XFree86-Mesa-libGL" been eliminated with the
livna.org rpms?

Thanks,
Clint