Print server

Jon Shorie jshorie at medinaco.org
Mon Mar 29 17:09:57 UTC 2004

On Monday 29 March 2004 11:55, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Jon Shorie wrote:
> >On Sunday 28 March 2004 13:34, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> >

> >>Anyone got any ideas about the best way to turn an old 486 into a print
> >>server for a Canon BJC3000 ink printer (AFAIK not aWinPrinter) on my
> >>network?
> >>
> >>Thank
> >>

> >We have several printers running here with various dot matrix/laser/ink
> > jet printers hooked up.  If the printer in question, is not usb, then I
> > would suggest just using Redhat 6.2 for your print server.  This is what
> > we have done.  If it is a usb printer, then make sure that your 486 has a
> > usb port (yes some do) and then install redhat 7.3.
> >
> >We have as little as a 486dx2/50 supporting two dot matrix printers.  Our
> >uptime for this box is 207 days.  The only time that it needs rebooted is
> >when there is a significant power outage.
> >

> Hi Jon,
>
> Is it not better to use CUPS with an ink printer or does it not make any
> real difference?
>
> Thanks..

I use cups for printing on our linux desktop pc's, but the print servers are
running lpr or lprng.  They get along well as long as you remember on the
client pc to click on the strict RFC 1197 option in the printer settings.

We currently have 4 print servers running Redhat 6.2 and LPR and 2 print
servers running 7.3 and LPRNG.  The big advantage is that lprng will stay up
even if one of the print queues goes down where on LPR it is possible to
crash all print queues by just messing up one of them.