Disappearing data in Calc

robert holtzman holtzm at sonic.net
Tue Mar 30 00:10:05 UTC 2004

Background:

Running OOo 1.1.0 under Redhat7.3. Constructed medical expense records for
last year for tax purposes. Saved in native format as well as .xls. Sorted
and saved this in the same formats as above.

Problem:

Opened one of the files today and all data was gone. Only the column
headers remained. Tried with another file and 90% of the data was gone.
The remaining two files also had 90% of the data missing. Tried again
later and all the data was present in one file (sorry, I don't remember
which format) and either completely gone or 90% gone in the remaining
three. An hour later data 90% missing in all four files.

Out of desperation I ran the repair script from setup after which all the
data was present in one file (probably coincidental) and 90% missing in
the others. I saved the good file in both formats and we'll see what happens.

I've been using OOo for a month or so and this is the first time this
problem has occurred. I was on the verge of formatting my Windows
partition and being Microsoft free. Now I'm understandably reticent.

Any Ideas gratefully considered.

--
Bob Holtzman
 ......check the price of the beer!"