Managing services

Fabrício Santos fabricio.santos at quicknet.nl
Tue Mar 30 21:26:05 UTC 2004

Viva a todos,

Since at install time of my FC1 I did a pretty dumb instalation, Apache and
Samba were not automatically configured to start at boot up and I have done
it manually after. What I did was going to /etc/rc3.d and issued the
following command:

   ln -s /etc/init.d/httpd S35httpd

Now I have a couple of questions and a couple of assumptions that I believe
true but am not sure about. So answers to my questions or links to further
reading will be most welcome.

1. service command.

I know a service in /etc/init.d (or /etc/rc.d/init.d/) may be started using
the service command but I couldn't find any proper docs on it. No man page
available. No --help switch available. Only the following is displayed when
the command is run:

   Usage: service < option > | --status-all | [ service_name [ command
| --full-restart ] ]

Are there any more extensive docs to this utility?

2. /etc/rcX.d

Inside the rcX.d directories, there are files named K99servicename and
S99servicename. I supose the K stands for Kill at reboot or halt time, and S
stands for Start at bootup time. Then the numbers are just a way of sorting
the way the services are started or stopped. Is this correct? Where can I
learn more on these matters?

3. ln -s /etc/init.d/httpd S35httpd

Is there any FC1 text based utility that may create these links
automatically instead of forcing the way manually like I did?

Thanks for your help!

-fs