Changing primary user group

Mike Westkamper mjwestkamper at weiinc.com
Tue Mar 30 22:06:38 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]On Behalf Of Rick Stevens
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 4:32 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Changing primary user group

Mike Westkamper wrote:
> I need to set up a number of users and assign them to a primary group. For
> example, I am setting up a FC1 box as a CVS server. The approach I am
using
> is to set up a number of cvs users and want to assign their primary group
as
> CVSUSER.
>
> The GNOME applet doesn't seem to allow it. (add user / change properties)
> And I have tried the traditional handtools but apparently there is
someting
> else that prevents adduser/etc from really working.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You must add the group _first_, THEN you can add users and make the
new group their primary group.
-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -

I agree, however the GNOME applet doesn't seem to allow this. It seems to
make the group the userid or "user". I'm not sure if it is a bug or just a
limitation on my part!