Fedora core 1 sendmail problems

Homer Sapions hsapions at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 31 02:38:56 UTC 2004

I did some testing in a roundabout fashion, and proved that sendmail is
configured and working the way it should. Because it is much easier to debug
a problem like this when you see it yourself, I opened a VPN tunnel to one
of my servers at work. Our firewall is configured to not allow any outbound
connections on port 25, because all company mail must be sent via our
internal mail servers/relays. I shut down my web server locally because I
know that traffic on port 80 is coming in and out.

I added to my sendmail.mc
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=80,Addr=0.0.0.0, Name=MTA')dnl
ran make -C /etc/mail
then stopped and restarted sendmail. I verified that locally I could connect
on port 80 and get the usual sendmail connection. I then went to another
terminal session connected via VPN to  one of my servers at work, connected
to my own server on port 80 and got what I expected - a sendmail prompt. I
did the normal trickery of mail from: xxx at yyy.com, rcpt to: homer, data etc.
then disconnected.

I checked my local account, and the message is there as I expected. So the
problem is obviously not with sendmail, it has to be the linksys, the cable
modem or the ISP. The linksys config is really easy and almost impossible to
set up port forwarding incorrectly. I'm not aware of any way to configure
the cable modem. The only problem I am aware of is that the firmware on my
linksys is rather old (1.42.3, Jan 28 2002) and the latest firmware doesn't
want to install on it. This may be a problem. At least now I have a definite
direction (or 3 directions!) to go in.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions, I will let you know the
solution when I find it.