Taming the mailing lists?

- Edwin - copperwa11s at yahoo.co.jp
Sat May 1 04:05:07 UTC 2004

(Not that this is all about "Taming the mailing lists" but...)

On 2004/05/01, at 1:18, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

[...]

> Your Right Edwin, Rodolfo replied to the quotes of what Tom said in my
> reply... Doesn't bother me though, I agree with most of what he said.

Okay...

> Speaking of which, I don't know what filtering you use, but if it's
> actually much easier to tell it to search the Subject: header for
> "[FC]"
> than to search for a Reply-To: header with "fedora-list at redhat.com" in
> it, then I suggest you shop for a better mail filter.

Huh? Better mail filter? Even crappy mail client can scan a Reply-To:
header.

> It's really not the lists fault if new arrivals don't yet know how to
> filter messages. Besides which, if we add "[FC]" to the Subject: header
> to make such manual/visual scanning slightly easier,

Aha! you just said the magic phrase -- "slightly easier"... *that* was
the main point.

>  we only prolong the
> time that they will deny themselves the benefits of filtering, because
> they 'think' it's harder to set up than to keep doing it manualy....

And why do you think that they'll think *that* way? C'mon, by the time
they figure out they can do something like that, they'll probably figure
out how to do it in different ways. The idea is, if they were given a
"visual hint" (e.g. something like [FC] on the subject line), then they
would probably start thinking of "filtering" their messages...

> What would be useful would be some how-to links in the welcome message.
> (And possibly listed in a "useful-links" link added to the list
> management
> data appendage in case they didn't know they wanted to save the welcome
> message.)

Okay, now we're back on topic ;) Yeah, I'm sure something like that is
needed. (Or, perhaps something like that sent once a week, etc.)

> It would be good if the how-to links not only included beginner
> tutorials
> for server based filters. But some suggested settings for
> {transitionally?}
> using the filtering built into some "popular" mail clients including
> <gag> outlook {for those stuck with a windows machine until they get
> fedora working <wink>.}

:)

> That is, Make it easy for the beginner to implement some form of
> filtering rather than making it easier to avoid.

Well, that depends on how a person thinks...

> Well that's my "2 cents"*10^"nth degree" worth  anyway...

My two centavos here ;)

- E -