Xfree86 and KVM

Dave drn_temp2 at rogers.com
Sat May 1 10:39:33 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "- Edwin -" <copperwa11s at yahoo.co.jp>
> Hi,
>
> On 2004/05/01, at 9:55, ed wrote:
>
> > Just had a strange problem.
> >
> > One of my systems (system 3) om my KVM suddenly hung with no mouse. I
> > rebooted and X would not start because it could not detect my mouse (MS
> > Intelimouse). I switched to another mouse (direct attach) and
> > everything
> > seemed to work fine. Whenever I attached my mouse to my KVM (Linkss
> > 4-port) it would hang.
> >
> > Since I had port 4 empty, I reassigned my system to port 4 and now
> > everything works fine.
> >
> > Is there any way I can fix port 3? Or is this just an anomally?
>
> This sounds more like a hardware problem to me. (In which case, your pc
> shop would be the place to go to and ask for help.) Or, am I missing
> something? :)

There was a discussion about this earlier this week, I believe that the
problem is that the Linksys KVMs are pass-through and some operating systems
need to have the Store and Forward type KVM.  I had this issue with my
notebook & Smoothwall (lLinux based standalone Firewall) and am trying to
find a particular D-Link KVM which is the Store and Forward type.

Dave