Auto invoke browser upon wvdial successful Internet connection

Bob Shaffer fedora at bobshafferscomputer.com
Sat May 1 12:32:16 UTC 2004

This will do what you want.

#!/bin/bash

nohup wvdial 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null &

while true; do
    if [ -n "`/sbin/pidof pppd`" ]; then
        # successfully connected
        mozilla &
        exit
    fi
    if [ -z "`/sbin/pidof wvdial`" ]; then
        # wvdial failed and exited
        xmessage "Failed to connect."
        exit
    fi
    sleep 1
done

# end of script

It doesn't represent my life's work or anything, but it will work.
You can just run "killall -2 wvdial" to close the connection.

You can actually set up pppd to dial for you, and dial on demand if you
want too.  That way when you open a browser it will automatically dial for
you if you're offline.

Bob Shaffer II - Owner, Developer, System Operator - BobShaffersComputer.com
http://bobshafferscomputer.com/

/"\
\ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
 X   CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
/ \