Tar and hard links.

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Sat May 1 17:56:46 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have a small backup system running which basically uses rsync with the
--link-dest= option which basically creates hard links to unchanged files..

For anyone interested this means that I am able to backup 950MB over  6
days and only use 1.3GB (instead of the nearly 4GB it would take with a
straight copy) of disk space.. :)

Anyway,  I now need to backup the 6 days worth of daily backups (along
with other data) to a tape and I will be using tar.. I don't want to
have to backup the full volume of 4GB if there is a way to backup the
hard links and so save space on the tape..

How does tar handle hard links?? Is there a switch to use or does it
handle them automatically??

I looked through the man page and only saw a reference to symlinks but
not hard links..

Later..