Linksys or Netgear

Karl Hakmiller karlh at concentric.net
Mon May 3 01:30:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 02 May 2004 15:05:34 -0700
Austin Isler <a_c_isler at verizon.net> wrote:

> Does anyone on this list recommend a wireless broadband router that they
> found to have the least amount of trouble getting it to work in Linux?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Austin

I used the Netgear 4-port Wireless Router (MR814v2, supporting 802.11b) when running RH 9.0 and FC1 with never a problem of any kind (the NIC was a Realtek RTL8139 PCI card).  I later upgraded the router to a Netgear wireless WGT624 (supporting 802.11g) using this same NIC with zero problems (I just unhooked the cables on the old router and plugged in the new router -- my kind of installation!).

I recently put together a new computer using the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
mobo that has a built-in 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet controller and the
WGT624 Netgear router was seamlessly recognized and configured during a
scratch reinstall of FC1.

I don't see how you can go wrong with one of these Netgear routers.

Karl L
Email: karlh at concentric.net
Homepage: http://hakmiller.rootsweb.com