Linksys or Netgear

Ron Goulard foz at techville.org
Mon May 3 04:57:54 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 18:24, Austin Isler wrote:
> Or I should say PCI  adapters. :)

Since you're asking about PCI adapters and wireless, is it safe to
assume you're thinking of using wireless to connect from some distance
because you can't get broadband where you are?

I am using an Orinoco Silver card (external antenna connector), with a
SCM SBI-D2P swapbox adapter in an pII-366.  Works just fine with Fedora,
no special config or tweaking necessary.

I've used these cards with various PCI and ISA adapter cards as well,
never had any problems.  Very easy to setup.  All versions of linux that
I've tried just see the card during install.

Besides that, there's a California Amplifiers directional antenna (model
130094-130135) on a 40ft tower (LMR400 cable), and an amp (unfortunately
fed into the furthest point from the antenna - read: loss of almost half
my power) which is pointed to an omni directional AP 10km (over the
horizon in this area) away.  I can easily get an 11M connection to the
AP (from there to the rest of the net, it's 2M symmetrical).

Never had any problems with connectivity through the winter, but now
that trees are budding, I get occasional dropouts, though I admit I'm
shooting my signal through trees on my property - pine, poplar and
maple.  I need to either move/raise the tower, or get a chainsaw :)

Get yourself a good line of sight and don't setup in late fall like I
did, you'll only end up having to tweak it in the spring.

Mail me off-list if I can be of any help.

Ron