Strange Idle User Listed in who, finger

David Collantes david at bus.ucf.edu
Mon May 3 15:34:23 UTC 2004

On 5/3/2004 11:26 AM, Clint Harshaw wrote:

[...]

> [charshaw at mufasa charshaw]$ finger
> Login     Name            Tty      Idle  Login Time   Office     Office
> Phone
> charshaw  Clint Harshaw  *:0             May  3 09:44
> charshaw  Clint Harshaw   pts/1          May  3 11:18 (:0.0)
> charshaw  Clint Harshaw   pts/5    123d  Apr 28 08:22 (:0.0)

[...]

It seems you got a zombie process there. Zombies cannot be killed normally,
because they do not really exist and one should not worry about them... that
much. But why it is showing for 123d idle, I have no clue. What is the machine
uptime? I have seen inconsistencies on "ps aux", as far as showing a process
with a start date of last year, when I rebooted the machine just yesterday...
That was on RH9, btw...

I would be curious to know what you find out, if anything...

Cheers,

--
David Collantes - College of Business Administration, UCF - (407)823-3418
Always remember: you are unique, just like everyone else.